Sunday 20 May 2012

Independant Study Topic

For my BA6 Unit, I have been asked to produce my own project brief that would benefit my current artistic skills. Since last year, I have easily made the decision that 3D modeling is the area of Games Art that I most enjoy and believe I have natural skill in.

When it came to choosing a topic, in this sense what to model. I instantly came up with the idea to model different kinds of firearms. My initial reason as to why was purely because I just admire the construct and functionality of a gun. I believe the historical and cultural aspects of firearms are incredibly fascinating to look at. Most of my life I have been interested in the different varieties of guns, whether realistically or in video games themselves. I think that modeling guns, for me would greatly improve my 3D skills as the different shapes, details and mechanics will challenge me in ways I haven't experienced. Proportion, functionality and details are crucial with firearm design, as with out those assets the object cannot be accurate. I also want to begin using a new software programme called 'Cinema 4D' which I will be able to learn how to make beautiful renders, using light set ups and applying materials to my models.

Aside from the productive approach to improving my skills, I want to look at how firearms actually appeal to me and others. The opinions of guns/firearms differ vastly across many aspects. I have chosen some relative subjects to research based around the appeal of guns. Personally I never really thought I had a reason to why I liked the aesthetics of firearms, but it has come to my attention, with some thought that my reason is deeper than that. I have chosen to look into a few different subjects of how guns appeal to different audiences. With this research, I will be able to derive where my passion comes from, whilst modeling some of my favourite guns across the way. 

These audiences are:

. Guns and Media

. Guns and the Military

. Guns and Gender

. Guns and Children

No comments:

Post a Comment